This essential oil is one the best kept secrets of the holistic world.
Many people use essential oils, they burn them to help them relax, or add a couple of drops to a bath or your pillow to help restore balance in life.
But one essential oil is so powerful at relaxing and improving many aspects of your health, and it is one of the least talked about.
Frankincense is mainly known for being one of the gifts present at the nativity, but it has a whole range of health benefits that can actually work better than medicines designed specifically for these problems.
Top 8 uses for frankincense oil
1. Stress relief
Like many other essential oils, frankincense is great dropped into a hot bath, it has wonderful relaxant properties and has been said to increase your spiritual intuition.
2. Household cleaner
If the smell of chemical cleaning products often leaves you feeling like your house is clean, but covered in chemicals then try frankincense oil for cleaning instead. It has powerful antiseptic properties meaning it really cleans and has a lovely powerful – not chemical – scent.
3. Natural hygiene
Frankincense is handy for using in your hygiene routine, and being 100% natural means your body is benefiting too. Its antiseptic properties means that it can be used in oral hygiene, as it completely cleans the mouth and kills bacteria.
4. Anti ageing product
Frankincense has been well documented to reduce the appearance of ageing and wrinkles, because of its astringent properties. It helps reduce pores and blemishes and helps to tighten the skin, leaving it looking youthful and refreshed.
Frankincense oil can help you if you suffer from poor digestion, or in times when you have overdone the food a little. It is known to help reduce gas, constipation, stomach aches, irritable bowel syndrome, PMS, or cramps. It needs to be ingested to help in this way, so make sure you only have 100% natural oil, and not a perfumed variety.
6. Scars and acne
2-3 drops of frankincense oil mixed with water and applied to the skin can really help shrink old scars and acne marks that are deep within the skin.
7. Cold and flu medicine
Especially at this time of the year, everyone needs a little helping hand when it comes to fighting off cold and flu. Inhaling a couple of drops of frankincense oil on a cloth helps to get rid of congestion and acts as an anti inflammatory to your nasal passages.
8. Reduces inflammation and pain
Frankincense oil reduces inflammation and the pain associated with it, in the body. Conditions associated with inflammation such as arthritis, digestive disorders, and asthma can be relieved by burning a few drops of frankincense oil in the home.
Try the homemade recipes below which all include frankincense oil to feel the benefits of this amazing essential oil.
Homemade Frankincense Soap Bar
- 20-30 drops frankincense essential oil
- soap base
- 5 drops pomegranate oil
- Oval Bar Molds or Decorative Soap Mold
- Put soap base in a glass bowl then place that bowl in saucepan with water.
- Heat stove to medium and allow the base to melt.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly. Then add the frankincense and pomegranate oil
- Mix well and transfer to a soap mold
- Let mixture cool thoroughly before popping bar out of the mold. Keep at room temp
Scar Reducing Body Butter
- 2 oz shea butter or coconut oil
- 10 drops of Jasmine Oil
- 10 drops Frankincense Oil
- Small Container or jar to mix the ingredients
- In a double boiler melt the shea butter until it is liquid
- Make sure the oil is not so hot that it will burn you, then add the other oils and stir together to combine. Having the shea butter be room temperature, or a little warmer is best.
- You can either smear it on your scar right away or if you’d like to make it into a shelf-stable cream texture, place the mixture in the fridge until it is cool for a few minutes then use a hand mixer on high speed to whip the oils into a white cream.
- Pour into a glass jar or containers and keep it at room temperature to use whenever you want.
Sleep Inducing Facial Cream or Body Rub
- 5 Drops Frankincense Essential Oil
- 5 Drops Lavender Essential Oil
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon Organic Coconut Oil
- 1/2 Teaspoon Olive Oil
- Small Container or jar to mix the ingredients
1. Use coconut oil that is not solid, but rather is soft. If need be, heat it first in a double broiler
2. Add the other oils and stir together to combine. Spread over your face and body. You may want to pat yourself off after to not allow the oil to seep into your bed sheets. You can also store this to use at another time.
Homemade Frankincense and Myrrh Lotion
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup Beeswax
- 1/4 cup shea butter
- 2 tablespoon vitamin E
- 20 drops frankincense essential oil
- 20 drops myrrh essential oil
- BPA free plastic lotion dispenser bottles
- Put olive oil, coconut oil, beeswax and shea butter in a glass bowl then place that bowl in saucepan with water.
- Heat stove to medium and mix ingredients together
- Once mixed put in refrigerator for an hour until solid
- With a regular mixer or hand, mixer beat the mixture until it is whipped and fluffy. Then add essential oils and vitamin E and mix
- Fill container and store in cool place