Avocados are delicious, and just about one of the healthiest foods you can eat, but getting the timing of when they are ripe and best to eat can be tricky.
We’ve all cut into an avocado that wasn’t quite ripe enough, meaning the tough flesh is not very appetising to eat, or worse, completely inedible.
Make sure that never happens again using this handy tip for ripening avocados in as little as 10 minutes.
You will need:
- Unripe avocado
- Baking sheet
- Tin foil
- Using the tinfoil, wrap the whole fruit.
- Out it on the baking sheet
- Place it in the oven at 200 degrees F for 10 minute, or until the avocado is soft.
- If you have a particularly hard avocado this can take much longer, sometimes up to 1 hour, but keep checking.
- Remove from the oven when it feels soft to touch like a ripe avocado does
- Put the avocado in the fridge for it to cool
How it works:
Avocados produce ethyene gas which is released slowly, this is what causes the fruit to ripen.
The heat and the tin foil surrounding the avocado speeds up the process and ripens the fruit in a fraction of the normal time.